What should residents do with existing carts and garbage cans?
A cart previously purchased from the Town can be retained for use as an extra cart for garbage, or as a recycling cart by adding “Recycling” decals on both sides of the cart, or it can be utilized for landscape waste by adding a “Landscape Waste” decal (all decals are available free of charge by calling 454-9571). Residents may want to drill holes in the bottom of any landscape waste cart to allow drainage.

If the resident does not want to retain the old Town cart, it can be placed (empty and open) at the curb on collection day for pick-up and call the Public Works department at 454-9571 to request pick up. Old carts that weren’t purchased from the Town and garbage cans can also be placed out (empty and open) on collection day for disposal (also call the office to notify us).

Show All Answers

1. What is a fully automated waste collection system?
2. What are the benefits of an automated waste collection system?
3. Are residents required to use a Town-issued cart for the waste and curbside recycling programs?
4. How is a garbage cart used?
5. What can be placed in the cart for garbage collection?
6. What if I have more trash than can fit in my town-issued cart?
7. What size carts are available?
8. Can I purchase my own cart from a local retailer?
9. Can residents use non-Town issued garbage cans or leave garbage out in plastic bags?
10. When should waste (garbage, recyclables, landscape waste, bulky waste) be placed at the curb?
11. What should residents do with existing carts and garbage cans?
12. Should I take my cart with me if I move?
13. How do I clean my cart?
14. Where can I store my garbage cart?