Normal, IL – Aug. 9, 2022 – The Town of Normal encourages residents to register for Notify Normal, a free mass communication system the Town recently launched to enhance its communication and interactions with the community by visiting www.normalil.gov/notifynormal.
Notify Normal allows residents and community members to be notified by the Town of Normal in the event of emergency situations and receive information about community events and Town of Normal services. The system customizes the CodeRED platform provided by Onsolve, a leading critical event management provider.
“Notify Normal will supplement communications to residents,” says City Manager Pamela Reece. “This tool provides another avenue for sharing information with visitors and residents. Notify Normal alerts are delivered where the community is most likely focused … on mobile devices. When necessary, alerts will direct users to more specific information.”
The system can target geographical areas or streets in the Town of Normal. Notify Normal delivers notifications via text to wireless phones, emails or calls and leaves messages, if necessary, without the need for a third-party app.
“We chose the CodeRED platform for Notify Normal because of its demonstrated reliability and wide-spread adoption across the nation,” explains Cathy Oloffson, director of Communications and Community Relations. “Notify Normal will help us easily and quickly deliver critical information to residents during emergencies.
“The system also provides a non-emergency option for those who want to stay informed about Town of Normal services,” she adds. “Those who enroll decide how they want to be notified and what they want to be notified about.”
Users choose the types of notices they receive. Notification types include:
- Emergency (e.g., severe weather notifications, law enforcement emergencies, public safety notifications)
- General (e.g., general information from City Hall)
- Service (e.g., status of Town of Normal services such as hydrant flushing, boil orders, garbage pickup, snow removal, etc.)
- Streets (e.g., parking bans, road conditions or closures)
- Parks (e.g., status of aquatic centers, Constitution Trail, parks)
- Events (e.g., information about community events)
Community urged to enroll
Onsolve/CodeRED provided the Town of Normal with an initial database of residential and business telephone numbers; however, all Town of Normal residents are encouraged to enroll by visiting www.normalil.gov and clicking the Notify Normal website banner.
“While we have a base of information, no one should assume they are in the contact database,” explains Oloffson. “We encourage people to enroll and provide their contact information, including cell phone numbers and email addresses. Enrolling allows people to create a customized experience with Notify Normal, choosing how to receive information and what kind of notices to receive.”
Robust emergency alerting capabilities
Notify Normal has the added capabilities of
- Delivering emergency alerts via the nation’s Integrated Public Alert Warning System (IPAWS), warning the public – whether or not they are enrolled – of emergencies that pose an imminent threat to life and/or personal safety through mobile devices located within the boundary limits of the Town of Normal.
- Automatically notifying those enrolled of tornadoes, flash floods and severe weather warnings just moments after an alert is issued by the National Weather Service.
The Town of Normal is working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the state of Illinois to secure certification which will allow access to these capabilities.
Public safety officials across the United States have credited the CodeRED platform for successfully locating missing children, apprehending wanted criminals and issuing timely evacuations.
# # #
About CodeRED from OnSolve
OnSolve is a leading global provider of SaaS-based critical communication solutions for government customers. The company’s CodeRED™ solution provides high-speed notification services capable of reaching millions of people in minutes and has applied its mission-critical capabilities to government, commercial, healthcare and other markets. More information can be found on the company’s website at www.onsolve.com.