- Boards & Commissions
- Human Relations Commission
Human Relations Commission
- 5:15 pm
- Third Tuesday of each month except February, June, July and December
- Uptown Station
11 Uptown Circle
Normal, IL 61761
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Commissioners (Term Expiration)
- Janessa Williams, Chair (3/31/2024)
- William "Terry" Brown (3/31/2023)
- Janae Henson (3/31/2023)
- Srinivas Mikkilineni (3/31/2026)
- Benjamin Ryburn, Vice Chair (3/31/2026)
- ISU SGA Rep, Ex Officio
- Most Recent Agenda
- View All Agendas @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Most Recent Minutes
- View All Minutes @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Town of Normal is dedicated to providing aids and services leading to effective communication for persons with disabilities so they can participate equally in the Town’s initiatives. If you need assistance accessing or reading materials provided by the Town, please reach out to the Town of Normal ADA Coordinator Greg Troemel at 309-454-9580.
In 1969, the Normal Town Council established the Normal Human Relations Commission to:
- Foster and promote better understanding and relations between all persons in Normal.
- Promote better conditions among all persons with respect to housing, employment, recreation, health, and other quality of life services.
- Strive for community-wide coordination and cooperation to achieve the economic and social well-being of all persons in the community.
- Provide educational opportunities and advice to citizens and public officials in their endeavors to keep peace and good order.
- Protect the human and civil rights of all citizens and endeavor to "make whole" those persons who are illegally wronged.
- Encourage participation by various persons who share the HRC’s purposes.
- Achieve these ends by means of education, consultation, and cooperative planning.
The HRC pursues its purpose in primarily two ways: via public outreach at community events and by acting as an arbiter in situations where unlawful discrimination is alleged to have occurred. More information can be found on the HRC’s Discrimination Complaint Process page.
To attain these goals the Normal Town Council created this advisory committee of seven persons. Six members are Normal citizens appointed by the mayor and approved by the Town Council. The seventh member is the Illinois State University Student Government Association vice president or their designee. Anyone interested in serving on this commission should complete the Boards and Commissions Volunteer Interest Form to be considered for appointment to the HRC.