- Built Circa 1860
- Local landmark designation, July 19, 1993
This wooden frame house built with chaste Greek Revival features qualifies on a number of grounds as one of the most important historic structures in Normal:
- It is in remarkably good condition, having its original clapboards and not having had any intrusive additions appended to it.
- It is very old for the community, dating back to the early 1860s.
- It possesses architectural distinction in being one of the finest Italianate / Greek Revival houses in the twin cities.
- It was built and lived in by Edwin C. Hewett, who was one of the first professors at the Normal School and then served as its third president, 1876-1890.
This house is clearly eligible for designation on the National Register of Historic Places.