Youth on A Mission
What is Youth on A Mission?
Youth on A Mission (YAM) is a Youth Advisory Council comprised of high school youth from Unit 5 school district. The expectation of the council is to provide an avenue to engage youth, provide leadership growth and an opportunity to learn about municipal government. Youth on A Mission will engage in activities like community service, advocacy and strategic planning. The program year is 12 sessions, running from September to April. Students may also participate in Illinois Municipal League activities during the course of the program. The program year closes with an award ceremony and celebration.
Students from Normal Community High School, Normal Community West High School and University High School are eligible to apply. Students must have at least 2.25 GPA or higher to participate.
There is no cost for a student to participate. In lieu of paying for the program, we ask each student to:
- Attend every session and be actively engaged. Participants cannot miss more than two sessions.
- Agree to participate in the YAM fundraiser.
How do I apply?The application period for the 2021 class is closed.
Youth On a Mission Curriculum
- Retreat Weekend (Team Building, Leadership Development, Civic Engagement, Prioritizing Projects, Selecting Project for the year)
- Session 2 (October) - The Council & Mayor: Forms of Municipal Government (Council-Manager/Strong Mayor-Council/Commission)
- Session 3 (November) - The Departments: How Does it Work.
- Session 4 (December) - Andrew Huhn: The Budget
- Session 5 (January) - Advocacy Training (Local, State, & Federal)
- Session 6 (February) - Boards & Commissions: Making Your Case
- Session 7 (March) - Prepare for Council Presentation
- Session 8 - Final (April) - Make Presentation to City Council
Mentors & Advisors
Youth On a Mission, presented by the Town of Normal and in accordance with the National League of Cities, was created in 2021 to heighten youth engagement/involvement within the community. This council aims to engage and educate the youth of Normal about community decision making, sparking future initiatives that incorporate the structure of all levels of government. The council will directly involve the students in policymaking, as well as special projects, all of which are in partnership with adult community leaders. Youth On a Mission will also present a community plan to the Normal City Council for each fiscal year they are in session.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor or an advisor, please contact the Town of Normal or complete this application.