Bicycle Violations

How to Settle a Bicycle Violation

If you have received an ordinance violation for a bicycle infraction, you have three options:

  1. Complete the Bicycle Diversion Program (see below) and have your ticket dismissed.
  2. You can pay the fine as you would for other Town ordinance violations.
  3. Appear in court on the date on the ticket, where you can either contest the violation or plead guilty.

These are not Illinois Vehicle Code violations and will not go against your driving record; these are Town of Normal ordinance violations.

Bicycle Diversion Program

If you have received your first bicycle infraction ordinance violation, you may be eligible to participate in the Bicycle Diversion Program. To participate in the program:

  1. You cannot have previously completed a bicycle diversion program through the Town of Normal or the City of Bloomington.
  2. Take the online bicycle safety course. Complete the Adult Bicyclist quiz through the Gold level (approximately 35 questions total).
  3. Upon successful completion of the bicycle safety quiz, print and submit your certificate to the Legal Department. See below for submission directions.
  4. When the Legal Department receives your certificate, your ordinance violation will be dismissed.

Note: If your certificate is not received before the initial court date on the ticket, the Town will proceed with prosecution of the violation. The Legal Department reserves the right to withdraw this settlement offer at any time.

To submit your bicycle safety quiz certificate to the Legal Department, you may do so:

  1. In person on the 2nd Floor of Normal City Hall (the Amtrak Station – 11 Uptown Circle);
  2. By mailing the certificate to PO Box 589, Normal, IL 61761; or
  3. By emailing the certificate to Deputy Corporation Counsel Jason Querciagrossa.

For more information, please contact the Town of Normal Legal Department by calling 309-454-9507 or by emailing the Deputy Corporation Counsel.